Open Hands Legal Services, Inc. is a not-for-profit Christian organization that was formed for the purpose of providing free civil legal services to the poor and indigent in New York City. Open Hands partners with community-based organizations to conduct legal aid desks and Know Your Rights presentations for low-income and other under-served New Yorkers. Open Hands has a large base of volunteer attorneys and other professionals who are essential to its work and mission, and to whom Open Hands provides ongoing and specialized trainings. More information about Open Hands is available at www.openhandslegalservices.org.
The Staff Attorney will oversee regular legal aid desks where he or she will supervise volunteers and provide legal counsel, advice, referrals, and, in some cases, representation, to low-income individuals. Our clients face a variety of civil legal challenges including but not limited to housing, consumer debt, termination of public benefits, shelter rights, reentry, family law, and immigration matters. Essential duties and responsibilities include: interviewing clients and client intakes; attendance and participation at off-site legal aid desks and Know Your Rights events; provision of brief legal services, extended legal services and/or advocacy, as well as full representation on select matters; conducting and participating in volunteer trainings; and case entry and maintenance of case notes in our case management system. In addition to carrying his or her own caseload, the Staff Attorney will work with volunteer attorneys to provide pro bono advocacy and legal services. Other duties may be assigned as deemed fit.
The candidate must have excellent writing, advocacy, communication, presentation, and organizational skills. Open Hands seeks an attorney with a proven ability to think strategically and creatively about litigation and one that possesses an entrepreneurial spirit and a love for our clients. The ideal candidate is a self-starter that responds well to quickly changing demands with flexibility. The ability to take initiative and work independently is critical to this position. The successful candidate will have a demonstrated commitment to Open Hands’ Christian mission and values.
- Attorney and member of NY bar in good standing
- Identifies with the Christian faith
- Minimum of 3 years’ relevant experience practicing civil legal services, particularly in the area(s) of family law and/or immigration law
- Strong writing and analytical skills
- Strong leadership skills and ability to supervise teams of volunteers
- Ability to plan and manage own work
- Proven ability to solve problems independently and creatively
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated ability to interact with diverse populations
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit
- A second language – especially Spanish – is strongly preferred
- This position requires monthly Saturday morning and weeknight meetings and full commitment and support to the OHLS team and community.
- There is the ability to work remotely, during the COVID environment.
- Salary commensurate with experience, along with benefits package.
How to Apply
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Staff Attorney” in the subject line. Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis until the position is filled.